Monday, February 23, 2009

Conference Tidbits

I spent the past several days in Colorado Springs, CO at the beautiful Broadmoor Hotel for the Christian Writers Guild's Writing For The Soul conference, so forgive me for being so late in posting.



This year was so different from last year, when I was in panic mode over the Operation First Novel contest. The hours before finding out I won were so stressful, and the ones after I won were a giant blur. So it was sweet relief this year to go knowing that stress was behind me. This year that exciting yet frightening honor went to C.J Darlington, author of Thicker Than Blood.



As you know from my last post, C.J. is responsible for my latest online interview, and has been a great supporter of Fireflies In December since its release. So it was a true thrill to see her receive this years' award. The past winners were called on stage before the winner was announced, and I was so happy to be up there when C.J. took ownership of the giant check with her name on it! Keep an eye out for Thicker Than Blood. I can't wait to read it myself!



The winner of this year's Operation First Book award for non-fiction went to Mal King for Before The Last Leaf Falls. I was able to sit with Mal and his wife at dinner on Friday evening, and they are lovely people. I'm so happy for Mal's win and wish him the best of everything with his writing. Looking forward to reading his book, as well!



The conference continued to be exciting on Friday as I was part of a book signing panel. I had the pleasure of signing many copies of Fireflies In December for conferees who were so generously offered free copies of my book, as well as books by previous winners Tom Pawlik and Jan Watson. It was an amazing experience.



My appreciation goes out to the Christian Writers Guild for another terrific conference and for their continued work with their fiction and non-fiction contests. They, along with contest sponsors Tyndale House and Harvest House, do a great service to the many gifted writers who just need to be given a chance.

6 comments:

Cristi said...

Hey, Jen. Glad you had a good time. I'm sure it was a whole different experience this year. :-) Are you back in VA now?

Congratulations to C.J.! I look forward to reading "Thicker than Blood."

Ethan M. said...

Hey Aunt Jen! Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a good time. Did you sign a lot of books?

Jennifer Valent said...

Hey, Cristi. I got back in town late Sunday night. It was fun, but it's nice to be back home.

Thanks, Ethan! We signed a lot of books. I think we were signing for about an hour and a half or so. But it was fun, and no, my hand didn't cramp up. :)

Ethan M. said...

Hour and a half?! Smile and wave I guess. lol!

Rachel said...

I read C.J.s story, it was inspiring! God is so faithful to give us the desires of our heart!

C.J. Darlington said...

Thanks for these posts on the conference! It was great to finally meet you in person. No writer's cramp? That's a relief!

Can't wait to read more about the happenings in the Jennifer VAlent universe. :)