Saturday, March 7, 2009

Springing Forward


It was great to find out this week that Missy Frye was kind enough to pass along her Premio Dardos award (for her blog, Incurable Disease Of Writing) to me.


What’s the Premio Dardos Award?

Premio Dardos means “prize darts” in Spanish. It is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing.

Thanks, Missy!



Today is a gorgeous day- warm and a little breezy - which makes my editing process so difficult. I've opened up my windows to let a little of the outside in, and I'm loving it! But this kind of weather can go two ways for me: it can help my creativity or make my mind wander to what I'd enjoy doing outside. But seeing as how all of the past week was spent with snow on the ground, a bit of warm weather can help me wrap my mind around Jessilyn's world since the second book takes place in the summer.


And when it comes down to it, I really do enjoy editing. On each book, editing is the first time I get to work in tandem with someone. Otherwise, it's a very solitary job. So, since I have a terrific editor who really understands my writing and my characters, this process is something I look forward to and have a lot of fun with. But it is a lot of work in a small period of time, so I pray daily for inspiration and creativity - two things that don't always choose to show up on my radar when I need them to.


Once I'm through with edits for Cottonwood Whispers, I'll be moving into the writing process for the third book, and I'm looking forward to it. It will be fun to see where Jessilyn and Gemma go next, and since I write on the fly, I won't know where that will be until the book develops.


I wanted to send a quick but sincere word of thanks to everyone out there who has taken the time to read and spread the word on Fireflies In December. It's incredibly helpful to get the word out. And thanks to everyone who has contacted me to tell me they enjoyed the book. It's such an encouragement as I continue to write!


I hope all of you are enjoying the beginning of spring, and don't forget to turn your clocks ahead tonight!


FYI: The Dancing Word web chat has been rescheduled to Tuesday March 17th @ 9pm EST. Hope to see you there!

9 comments:

Ethan M. said...

¡Mucho bueno! Es bueno qué tú recibe qué premio. Si, si. Es buen tiempo en Fishersville. Yo amoro el buen tiempo. Nosotros tengos tiempo frio para un tiempo largo. Pozo...¡Adios!

Jennifer Valent said...

La nieve era buena, pero estoy listo para la primavera de ahora. Supongo que estará aquí antes de que lo saben. Voy a verle pronto!

Cristi said...

Show offs! :-)

Jennifer Valent said...

Only if by showing off you mean using an online translator! I never took a day of Spanish in my life. I did, however, take two years of French, but I can barely put two words of that together, too. Au revoir!

Shell in the City said...

I just finished Fireflies in December. Congratulations on such a moving book. I literally read it in less than 2 days!! I am thrilled that you are working on additional books. :)

Ethan M. said...

@Cristi:
Heh, well I thought I was a show off until she shot back with a whole bunch of words I haven't studied. Now -I- have to use and online translator...Blast.

@Aunt Jen: Haha. Online translators can be kinda...Inaccurate sometimes. Check out what Babel Fish did to your message.
"The snow was good, but I am ready for the spring of now. I suppose that it will be here they know before it. I am going to see him soon!"
At the end there, it sounds like your on your death-bed. lol! And yeah, spring would be nice.
@Shell in the City
Oof. You beat me. It's that awesome though; can't put it down.

Jennifer Valent said...

Ethan: This is why an online translator could never live in Spain.

Shell in the City: Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the book so much. Look for the sequel, Cottonwood Whispers, sometime in September!

Unknown said...

Por que ustedes hablan en espanol? Es posible que haya mas nieve este fin de semana. Pero, estoy listo para la primavera, tambien.

I've been spreading the word for you, Jennifer! My friend Angela did a review on Goodreads for you :)

Jennifer Valent said...

Great, now I'll have to translate more Spanish! :)

Thanks for telling people about the book, Blakelyn. I saw Angela's review and was so grateful she did that.